Chapter 2 Review Questions 1. Name the five soil-formation factors and give an example of the effect of each on soil formation.
2. Draw a soil profile containing the seven distinct horizons in the correct order, and label them. Indicate topsoil, subsoil, and solum. Hint: You will use more than just the regular master horizons, and there are many possible configurations.
3. Describe the major parent materials and vegetation as well as climate that contributed to the soils of your locality. Describe how they influenced your soils.
4. What do alluvial fans, floodplains, deltas, and terraces have in common? How are they different?
5. Discuss the four soil-forming processes and give examples of each.
6. Running water removes soil from the surface by erosion. Which of the four soil-forming processes does this exemplify, and how might the soil-forming factors affect it?
7. Describe several physical, chemical, and biological roles that water plays in soil formation, giving examples.